JUMP

Monday, November 28, 2011

Dancing outside of dancing




Although I think we can all agree that all the company members at LACDC love dance, but how we came to love it is probably very different. My experience is that most people learned to dance in the studio or in some kind of classes, especially when it comes to ballet. You never hear friends getting together to do some ballet for fun. I guess it’s because ballet is one of those dances you do on stage or class. Now it might sound like I am bashing on ballet, but I am not. What I am trying to point out is you can’t get together with a group of friends go out at night and meet people doing ballet. So What do I do to get my dance and social cravings at the same time? I go to Lindy Groove, it’s a swing dance venue, that does primarily Lindy Hop style of swing, in Pasadena and it happens every Thursday night. What I love about Lindy Hop is that it is a dance form that is difficult enough that I won’t be bored out of mind, but also attracts enough of a crowd to meet really interesting people that love to dance. The atmosphere is really chill and you don’t feel like people are out to judge your dance ability all the time. So if you are feeling anything like the way I do and want to get away from the class atmosphere maybe Lindy Groove might be for you. :)


- Justin Liu

No comments:

Post a Comment