JUMP

Monday, November 7, 2011

A Dancer’s Introductory Ramblings

From Hyosun Choi -

I love eating cake with my fingers; dessert tastes so much better. I love plushies; my recent addition is mischievous Pascal from Disney’s “Tangled.” I love the Fx application; the pictures say enough. And I love to dance; in a world where the most overused muscle is the jaw, it’s a gift to express with my body instead of words.

I believe dance is the sadly underappreciated. Musicians are left with an mp3 recording after singing. Directors, screenwriters, and actors can watch the DVD after filming. Painters solidify their art onto a canvas after painting. Sculptors create a 3D figure after sculpting. Writers publish books after writing. Yet after dancing, we are left only with an experience because dance is a live performance that can’t be captured into any material form. Although video recording is an option, the experience of watching live versus after-the-fact is beyond comparison.

Dance taught me about having patience in the process. As Ralph Waldo Emerson articulated, “Life is a journey, not a destination.” Before I began to dance, one of my innate personality flaws was in wanting immediate results. But the greatest sense of satisfaction and appreciation develops after surmounting tremendous difficulties. There shall never be an ending point to dance; the beauty is the infinite amount to learn, to discover, to be inspired. Below are videos I took during rehearsal that show the process in creating and in grasping new work:

In addition, dance taught me the importance of foundation. A dancer’s tool is his/her body. The foundation of technique, a strong core, and confidence is a necessity. With a sturdy foundation, I began to concentrate on personal expression and inner reflection. A great performer makes the action look effortless, thereby putting the audience at ease to disappear into the experience.

Furthermore, dance taught me about teamwork. In a world consumed by self-absorption and individuality, dance reminds me of collaboration, humility, and respect for others. Unless it is a solo, a dance piece with others is not about standing out as a sharp contrast within the whole picture. I feel lucky to be a part of a dance company that promotes cooperation, trust, and support during rehearsals.

I hope that someday a Dancers’ Guild will be created to protect dancers’ hourly wages, health benefits, and copyrights. I wish dance would have a bigger role in the elementary education system. I dream that a greater appreciation for contemporary dance develops with a strongercommunity support. Optimistically, in the future, a larger population of dancers shall be able to financially support themselves only through dance without taking on a second job. And may there one day be a way to preserve choreography in a form that captures its initial essence.

With the reminder never to take my health for granted, I offer a prayer of gratitude for every day I can dance. My goal: to make you itch to dance when you watch LACDC dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment